Breastfeeding is effective against infectious diseases because it strengthens the immunity system of the child by transferring antibodies directly from the mother. In case of suspected or confirmed Covid-19 cases, mothers with any symptoms who are breastfeeding or skin to skin contact need to take precautions.
- Practice respiratory hygiene and do wear mask while breastfeeding
- Wash your hands with soap and use sanitizer before breastfeeding
- Disinfect spaces routinely before touching them.
- If you prefer from complications that prevents you from continuing direct breastfeeding, express milk to safely provide breast milk to your infant
- If you are unwell to breastfeed or express breast milk you should explore possibility of relactation
As per world health organization’s guidelines, these are the steps that needs to be followed;
- Initiate breastfeeding within one hour of the birth
- Continue exclusive breastfeeding for 6 months
- Continue breastfeeding upto 2 years of age
If your infants are suspected or confirmed with Covid 19, seek breastfeeding counselling and don’t forget to consult your gynaecologist. Seek E- counselling most of the time and take all the precautions regularly.
Also avoid using breastfeeding substitutes, feeding bottles, pacifiers, dummies etc. Enable mothers and infants to stay together and practice skin to skin contact. Do wear masks and use sanitizers regularly. It can’t be transmitted while breastfeeding but can be transmitted through droplets while sneezing, coughing etc.
These updates are provided by Indian chemists, an aggregator platform which sources medicine from your nearby chemist and delivers medicine at your doorstep within 30 minutes of ordering. Though we have platforms like practo, netmeds, webmd but these platforms don’t provide what's been ordered and generally provide substitutes. Also they take 24 hours to deliver medicine contrary to Indian chemist that provide 30 minutes as the same sources from your nearby chemist.
So we at Indian chemists wish all mothers to be happy and stay safe with their kids. Try e consultations and go out only when it is absolutely necessary. Ladies, stay safe and stay positive and follow instructions as shared by world health organizations or by state and central ministries.